Wednesday 14 April 2010


"Did you know dolphins are just gay sharks?" ~ Brittany on April 13th episode of Glee

I went to hear Dr. Mark Lipton (http://www.marklipton.ca) speak about social media and education and it was liberating.  I suddenly want to go to university again!  He has combined his passion of media with a previous career as an elementary educator and he's trying to persuade the education system to get on board with media literacy.  There were many new gems I gained from his workshop but one that resonated was that we should stop being protectionist in our philosophy, and start being investigative.  Of course, the block I'm getting from my graduating students is that online coursework is dull and difficult.  I think that this line of resistance to our class wikispaces is because of 2 main reasons: a) they don't like the fact that adults are in their hangout space....the internet, and b) it makes them really accountable for their work and thoughts. Apparently, about 50% of all post-secondary credits are now earned online. 

I've just earned this title at school: Directions Team Head of Digital and Information Literacies.  What a mouthful.  I'll have to come up with a way cooler acronym than DTHDIL...which is unpronouncable.  Basically it means that technology and library are now to be part of every high school course so I need to engage teachers, students and parents through library services.  I'm excited and terrified.  I'll be full-time librarian in September and I have to tell you, I don't think the shine will wear off too quickly.  In midterm report week, the light at the end of the tunnel is that I may never have to do this again! 

I love the series Glee, which restarted for season 2 yesterday.  I'm not a hard sell on the musical genre anyway, but then combine it with a satirical approach to high school and I'm invested!  I know it's not for everyone.  In fact, that's kind of how it feels to try to sell technology and research at school...like I'm trying to get a bunch of Discovery Channel-watchers to convert to Glee. The inner child part of me that used to:
  • hide in the closet reading Judy Blume
  • finished a novel each Saturday morning in bed 
  • played library stamping cards for books, instead of with Barbies
is so so happy. As someone who now still spends every waking moment absorbing online, print, video and audio material, I think I'm up to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment