Wednesday 7 April 2010

Not so scary after all

Did you know I'm a big fan of Nip/Tuck?  P warned me that it would be a slick lookin' office that would offend my rural sensibilities....I should have had my hair done and a manicure before I went in.  Glossy, glassy, calm and stimulating decorating scheme with swirls of flooring that made it much more like a labyrinth than a medical office.

Everyone was very nice and trying very hard to not say anything that would set anyone off....like Disneyworld.  The doctor asked us to do a written history, a verbal history and then examined me physically and basically said that he'd like to start all over again to figure out if there's anything physically preventing us from getting pregnant. There is nothing apparently wrong from my cycles or my physical checkup. So starting at the beginning of the next cycle I get a pelvic ultrasound, a saline sonohysterogram (ultrasound using saline) and a hystersalpingogram (the dye test) on different days so they can a) make sure that I'm ovulating and b) start monitoring my cycle's pattern. I'll get some blood work done too.  Tim goes next Monday for a semen analysis and blood work.

If all goes well, we will start monitoring the cycle in earnest, I'll be going down daily for ultrasounds to have a check to see if I'm ovulating.  In the meantime, the doctor asked me to start taking folic acid, to cut out caffeine, to stay in bed for an hour after sex (yippee!) and to have sex more often.  Not so scary after all!

2 comments:

  1. YAY...so glad to hear. Will get icky details on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have to get your tubes checked? Where they inject a liquid, fill you with air and take x-rays? That was one of the tests I had to do, aside from all the ultra-sounds and blood work. If so, brace yourself, it is F***** painful. But maybe because this isn't publicly funded, like it is here, there are less tests to do to "prove" that you need this procedure. Bonne chance!!!

    ReplyDelete