Saturday 10 April 2010

Truckin' and Scrappin' with the Lord

We have a house!  We squeaked in a mortgage just under 4% and had the inspection done too.  We've booked the moving truck for 2 dates: Saturday, May 22nd and Monday, June 21.  A nice gradual move. 

I'm a lady juggler with a lot of balls in the air.  Why would anyone want to start fertility monitoring and move house all in the same season?  Self sabotage, most likely.  Sometimes I think I push myself right to the brink of what I can handle just to see if I can do it.

Last evening Tim and I had a very weird night (almost as weird as the 416-er, wine cellar leads to bar fight leads to big female kiss wedding, but that's another story).  We began meeting our good friends R & R for sushi before heading over to Theatre Orangeville's opening night of "18 Wheels", a musical about truckers.  I shit you not.

You already know that I'm a musical lover but this really stretched the boundaries of taste. Act 1: We meet 3 truckers who love what they do and hate what they do, like most of us, and Sandy the waitress who waits in a truck stop in Mount Forest.  They sing about how much they look forward to seeing her, there's a nice little song about haulin' chicken guts in August. Insert pathos: they launch into a dark and dreary song about almost dying on the highway 400 in a snowstorm but instead only killing 12 people.   I shit you not. 

The breaking point arrived when the cast launched into singing about "Jesus riding shotgun" and the sold out audience of blue hairs and Far Side ladies started clapping along like it was a revival meeting.  I had this feeling like I can't believe this theatre is reality and I'm in it.  Like an existential and nightmarish moment all at once.  We left at intermission. 

In my defense, I was given the tickets for free as a way to encourage school trips to the theatre and R did say that she had seen it in Toronto and it wasn't too bad.  But besides the fact that the main character was played by the theatre director's wife (again), let's just say they Orangeville-d the script up a might too much.

So afterwards we consumed copious amounts of alcohol and laughed a lot.  Max had his first sleepover last night at Auntie Tracey's with his cousins.  I wonder if that's why I couldn't sleep in. Today I'm going to get my gardening wiggles out (since I'm 'tween homes) by scrapbooking!  I packed myself one giant portable (well, portable if I had a sherpa) kit full of scrappin' goodies.  Now if I can just resist the Michaels store, I might be able to afford furniture for the new place.  Why does retail therapy feel so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment